Had jaundice. Having stomach ache and digestion problem. Any cure?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having stomach problems since last 2 yrs, I have visited doctor 4-5 times in last 2 yrs complaining about stomach pain & digestion.It was diagnosed everytime that due to stomach infection the same has happened.
I suffered from Jaundice 4-5 yrs back is it because of that only the problem is coming.

Now I Belch very frequently even I eat normally and farting also has become frequent and unavoidable sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX
You mention that you had jaundice 4-5 years ago. Did the
doctors tell you what caused this, especially if that was
diagnosed as Hepatitis of some sort. If it was related to
ingesting some contaminated food or drink, that would
be Type-A hepatitis. Usually, when once you recouperate
from that, there is no residual damage to the liver. It does
not lead to chronic hepatitis like Type-B or C.
If you mention stomach infection, we need to know if it
was caused by H.Pylori bacteria. In some cases, this can
be hard to eradicate. We may need to use three or four
drug combination for 7-10 days. This might include a
PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor), Biaxin (,Claritromycin),
Metronidazole and Bismuth preparation.
These all have side effects and can cause diarrhea, metallic
taste in the mouth and black stool !
If you have not been tested for H.Pylori, you should have
it done. There is a breath test and also a stool antigen test to
find out if you have this. Also, I am not sure if you ever had
an endoscopic evaluation with biopsy. Belching frequently
may be sign of hiatus hernia or GERD. This can be detected
by endoscopy and if you have some evidence of damage to the
lining of the lower esophagus, you may need to be treated with
PPI daily for 4-6 weeks or longer.
Pay attention to your diet as well. Avoid alcohol, excess spices,
excess caffeine, citrus drinks, tomato based sauces etc.
Hope this information helps and you can talk to your doctor.
I wish you well.