Had cold. Having sore throat and ear ache with swollen node. What cure should be done?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have tremendous pain which I've thought was just a sore throat for a few weeks now but I realize a lot of the pain appears to be my tongue in the very back. I now am suffering from a horrible earache along with a swollen node.

I had a bad cold for a few weeks and everything but the sore throat has gone away. The sore throat and swollen nodes have been present for a few weeks but the realization it's my tongue that is also causing the pain is new, as is the ear pain. This is all only on the right side, left side has no pain. The pain is so that I cannot sleep. Yet when I look down my throat I don't see anything alarming, though the right side of my tongue in the back does look swollen in comparison to the left side. Definitely a new pain for me. It's rather scary.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that you had a bad cold followed by a sore throat which we call as pharyngitis. Pharyngitis causes inflammation of lymphnodes, the nodes which get enlarged and painful whenever there is any infection nearby. The commonly involved lymphnodes are in the neck and around the jaw. Now even the base of the tongue has lymphnodes and these can get inflamed in Upper respiratory infection. This could be the most common cause for your painful swelling of the back of the tongue.
Other reason could be that in presence of URI, while you are also on plenty of drugs, there is always a chance of developing an ulcer in the mouth, called apthous ulcer. Such ulcers can occur on the tongue and are very painful and are generally not seen in our bathroom mirrors.
You need to visit a dentist/ENT surgeon and get your mouth and tongue examined. He would like to prescribe you some pain killer like Nimesulide or Diclofenac and also some local applicants.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
I will be happy to help if you need any further clarifications.
If not you can close the discussion and rate it accordingly,
Wish you good health.
If you have any direct question for me, you can also contact me on the following link:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 hours later
Hello. Thanks for your response. I notice there was no mention of my earache. Is it likely this is connected to my swollen node and sore throat along with the incredibly sore throat?

I have a dentist I can see but do not have an ENT readily available.

Do you believe this is something that will clear itself up or do you believe I need antibiotics? I have only been over the counter medicating to this point.

I worry that this seems to be so persistent. There has been no relief for the last number of weeks. I do fall victim to sore throats quite often but never has one felt as though it was on my tongue as well.

Also, I did have a cough for a few weeks but it is nearly cleared up at this point, so I am unsure if my symptoms are that of an upper respiratory infection.

Lastly, do you believe this could be something that could potentially be serious? In the past I have gone to the doctor numerous times when suffering from a horrible sore throat and have always been told, "not anything we can do". Yet with this persistence I am worried but do not want to go to the doctor to be told the same thing I have been told multiple times in the past.

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow-up question.
Please accept my apologies for missing your query in ear ache. Yes the ears are connected to the throat by a tube called Eustachian tube and any infection in upper throat is very likely to climb up to the ears as well.
Sore throats are mostly caused by viruses and do not need ant medication except for the OTC paracetamol. However in your case it has persisted for long and it appears that there is bacterial infection developing over the previous viral infection. You do need antibiotics, especially looking at the amount of pain that you are having.
Yes my suspicion is still a take anti-biotics.
Do use betadine gargles and salt water warm gargles.
Plenty of vitamic C by fresh fruits will also help.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Wish you good health.
WWW.WWWW.WW