Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Had burn on right hand. Now not able to move knuckles. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
In 2011 my mother right hand was burnt while cooking in the kitchen with Ghee. Dr. tied the wrong bandage and not the situation is the knuckles are not bending not able to work properly
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 27 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
I have gone through the images attached. Your mother has actually developed burn scar contractures which is seen commonly in second or third degree burns or in simpler terms in deep burns. Scar contractures are basically tightening of the skin formed that may later on leave to joint movement restrictions and deformities.
It might not be due to wrong bandage being tied by the doctor.

Treatment is in the form of physiotherapy and splinting and if required release of contractures by plastic surgery. I would advise that you consult a plastic surgeon and physiotherapist for the same.

Hope that helped.
Wishing your mother speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had burn on right hand. Now not able to move knuckles. Remedy? 2 hours later
What is splinting?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Splint is a device used to immobilise a joint in a particular position. For example if joints of hand are in flexed position then a corrective splint would immobilise it in extended position. Sometimes splint alone does not help, in such cases a corrective surgery to release the contractures and skin grafting might be required. As you are in New Delhi. You may take a consultation for the same at Safdarjang hospital. Safdarjang hospital is a government institution having one of the best plastic surgery department.
Hope that helped.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had burn on right hand. Now not able to move knuckles. Remedy? 34 hours later
Hi Dr.

Can you please suggest a cream or lotion for removing the effect of burn
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Due to burns, your mother has developed depigmentation, thinning of the skin.
This is known as post burn leukoderma.
It can be treated with steroid cream, tacrolimus, placentrex gel, topical psoralen, melgain( growth factor/ deca peptide) etc application. These drugs can give some improvement in terms of repigmentation of the area. But this repigmentation might be blotchy. All these drugs are prescription drugs and these should always be taken under proper guidance and follow up. The response achieved would depend upon the extent of injury
Another definite choice could be skin grafting or melanocyte transfer in the area. For the same XXXXXXX a plastic surgeon or Dermatosurgeon in your area.

Hope that helped.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor