Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Had been treated for cancer all type having T cell. Has returned. What treatment should be provided now?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
MY NEWPHE HAD BEEN TREATE FOR CANCER ALL TYPE HAVING T CELL after 1 and half year it came back again having around 80% blast whats your suggestion and what we HAVE to do now i mean treatment.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Pediatric acute lymphocytic leukaemia (ALL) has a good outcome as compared to many other cancers, but still has a relapse rate of about 20-30%. The T-cell variety is usually more aggressive.

Unfortunately, your nephew has relapsed and the outcome for relapsed ALL is not very good.

The different treatment options available for him are:

1. Induction chemotherapy to try and achieve a second remission ( in this, complications are expected to be more than first treatment).

2. If he achieves a second remission, then continue further treatment, OR go for bone marrow transplant (BMT) if a matched sibling is available. (BMT may be better for final outcome).

3. If a second remission is not achieved, then also BMT may be tried but with inferior results.

4. We need to check for Philadelphia chromosome in the leukaemic cells. If it is positive, then imatinib therapy may give good results.

The long-term relapse-free chances are around 20-30%.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor