Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Had anterior disectomy with fusion. Woke up with no voice. What kind of doctor should I see?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
I had an anterior disectomy with fusion in 2001. I awoke with no voice. I also had to have another disectomy in 2002 as a result of being rear ended in Atlanta, GA. When I awoke from that surgery - I had no voice. Since 2001 I have continually lost my voice for weeks at a time. It has now progressed to the point that it is gone more than I have it. It has been gone for 10 weeks now. I have been to many voice clinics, ENT's and neurologists. No one seems to be able to help me. My voice is a soft whisper most of the time. Sometimes it goes completely. At other times it sounds raspy. The volume is so low that to talk I feel like I am screaming. I need some help and don't know the next step. What kind of doctor do I need to see now?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you can share a videolaryngoscopy or a stroboscopy video, the exact problem may be evident.

2. Laryngeal nerve injury is after anterior discectomy and fusion. However, most of these recover in a year or two.

3. Did you have the operation on the same side during both the operations? Did you have any other symptoms such as aspiration of liquids, difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia) or breathlessness (dyspnoea)?

4. Do you have any copies of the clinical findings or notes of the Voice Clinics, ENT Specialists or Neurologists?

5. If there has been a persistence of a vocal cord palsy or a phonatory gap, vocal fold injections may help close the phonatory gap. Phonosurgery or Thyroplasty may also help.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor