Had a mirena iud inserted after giving second birth. Why i am getting abdominal pain?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: I had my second child via c section on october 2/2012.I had a mirena iud inserted at my 6 week check up on november 15th. I had sex with my husband the next two nights. i had no bleeding/spotting after.insertion of the iud but started spotting a week after the sex on nov 16th. brown then pinkish and it has been every day since then.and i.am.still spotting.brown now. i have cramping in my lower abdomen and pain at my.insision.site when.i cough or move.in.certain ways which wasbfine before i had the iud. ive also been loosing weight due to nausea not.eatong
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
IUD is commonly associated with side effects that you are facing and most of the times these symptoms do settle spontaneously in 4-6 weeks without any treatment.
Some of the common side effects are
Irregular menses, i.e either more bleeding, less bleeding or no bleeding or spotting. Vaginal itching or infections.
Headache, dizziness, cold and flu symptoms.
Stomach pain, irregular motions, nausea .
Mood swings, depression
Acne, weight gain/loss, breast engorgement.
So if you are really uncomfortable visit your doctor and get yourself evaluated.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.