Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Had DVT while on OC pills. On warfarin since then and told to take life long. Has hetro FVL

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
Hi Doctor
My wife had dvt 5 yrs back while she was on oc pills. She is on warfarin since then. As per her doctor she needs to be on warf for life.
Last year she delivered a baby and was on lmwh during pregnancy.
Does she needs to take warf lifelong. She is hetro FVL and Hetro MTHFR.
Can she use mirena iud that contains progestron for contaception.

Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She needs to continue warfarin lifelong

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
As your wife is heterozygous for like warfarin. As this is a permanent risk, she has to continue warfarin lifelong. If she requires any surgery or invasive procedure, changing over to LMWH is appropriate.
She can certainly use mirena IUD as it will not increase DVT risk.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor