Owl Image

Got married. Not able to have sexual intercourse. Any medication needed?

Owl Image
Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Question
i am married for 8 months but have not been able to consummate . i dont feel i have any physical problem , kindly help me out . is any medicine needed
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 18 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

I can understand your concern. Non consummation of marriage even after 8 month is a big problem and can lead to interpersonal conflict.

There are several sexual problems can present with difficulty in sex, Like:
-Erection problem
-Premature ejaculation before penetration.
-Pain during erectio
-Tight foreskin of penis, not sliding freely behind glans during erection.
-Sex phobia in husband or wife
-Sexual orientation problem

These problem can be originated from psychological or physical reasons. Please give following information to help you better:
-Nature of your problem from above problem.
-Are you able to perform masturbation and frequency of it.

Waiting for your reply,
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Follow-up: Got married. Not able to have sexual intercourse. Any medication needed? 9 hours later
i have slight erction problem but more of physcological . i have masturbated once or twice in a week.i think i have a unknown fear .. but yes there is little bit problem in holding erection

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Erectile dysfunction can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not. They also have normal erection during masturbation.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

What I can understand from your query is that you are not having hard erection which is required for intercourse. You are 30 years of age and at this age, any difficulty in getting or maintain an erection is due to psychological reasons in most of the cases, but physical causes also need to rule out first. I hope you are not taking any alcohol or smoking as sometimes these can also cause erectile dysfunction.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you:
-First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any)
-indulge in physical exercise and eat a healthy diet
-Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex.
-Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is very effective.
-The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Megalis), which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting. It is important to rule out medical conditions specially related to cardiovascular system before starting such treatment. Both of these medicines have excellent result in physical causes of erectile dysfunction. In psychological ED, they provide confidence to person and decrease their fear for sex.

We need to rule out certain medical conditions also. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes. For that comprehensive evaluation and tests, help of other specialist may also needed.

Apart from that in person evaluation and examination by psychiatrist may be necessary in your case to identify and treat psychological cause of ED.

As you are in Delhi NCR, you can visit me personally also after taking my address from XXXXXXX in Columbia Asia Hospital.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Follow-up: Got married. Not able to have sexual intercourse. Any medication needed? 5 days later
thanks for your valuable advice sir, i want to XXXXXXX you personally at the earliest , kindly give your address and appointment time as soon as possible

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 14 hours later
Hello again,

You can take my address detail from my profile page on XXXXXXX or you can visit my official website: WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health.
Regards.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal