Got hit on elbow. Feeling pain, noticed swelling and painful bumps on it. What's wrong?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i fell in the kitchen on friday evening, and my arm outside right below my elbow had a few bumps on it that ended up being quite swollen, sore, and painful in that spot. My neck and head were XXXXXXX and felt very funny after the fall. It's painful to stretch my head to the right or left, an I feel pain in my ears when I turn. my thumb, pinky, and right ring finger tips are numb after the fall. What's wrong with me? I have not seen a doctor as of yet. please help.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious problem.

Most likely, these symptoms could be due to mild impingement of cervical nerves, which supply sensations to the fingers. An additional cause could be a mild injury to the nerve near the elbow region due to fall.

These symptoms are usually transient and tend to improve within a few days. Complete recovery often occurs.

You may take analgesics such as ibuprofen, if pain is severe when turning your head.

I hope it helps. Please get back, if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist