Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

160 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Got hit on elbow. Bruise and swelling appeared. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
Hi, I fell and hit my elbow very hard 9 days ago. It immediately swelled larger than an egg. Extreme bruising and swelling to upper arm, forearm and elbow. Went to doc last Monday and x-rays... Nothing broken. Today forearm still XXXXXXX purple and swollen and elbow seems more painful. Have been trying to do RICE method as much as possible, but doesn't seem to getting better. Thank you.
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You seem to have hurt yourself badly as there is extensive bruising extending from your upper arm to the wrist joint. As you mention that no bones are broken it is a good sign but rupture of some vein has given this extensive bruising. You are doing the right thing by using the RICE method. My suggestion would be to apply a pressure bandage (crepe bandage) from the upper arm to the wrist joint during the day time as the compression technique. This shall:
1. Reduce mobility and give rest
2. Reduce swelling and pain
3. Reduce any further collection of blood and bruising
The bruising shall take some more time to resolve.

If the swelling and pain do not subside in the next 24 hours by the crepe bandage a revisit to the doctor is advised.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share any further fact regarding the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon