Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Got head injury. Developed bruise and large lump above eye. What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
I just got home from night classes to get my cna. My mom told me my 15 month old daughter fell and hit her head on the corner of the door frame. I asked if she cried immediately, etc. Mom said yes. I went and looked in on her to see for myself. She has a large lump above her left eye. It is extremely smooshy, not hard. Slight bruising, but didn't appear to be alot of bruising. She opened her eyes and looked at me, but went back to sleep. It looks slightly indented, but I can't tell if its from the size of the knot or what? Why is it smooshy and not hard. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

The lump is likely to be either soft tissue hematoma (clot of blood) or it may be swelling due to accumulation of fluid following injury (edema). Though it usually resolves with time, since the region around the eye is very important and is very delicate structures are situated there (also the brain is very nearby), it is best to get her evaluated by doctor to rule out any serious injuries.

If you feel she is drowsy, as you have described, then that is more so the reason to get her evaluated on an emergency basis.

A swelling is hard when it is either under tension or is bony. Your daughter may not be having either and so swelling is not hard. And being soft does not make it any more serious.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck!!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor