Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Got a bulging vein on my upper rib cage. Is this something i should be concerned about?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
i have what seems like a bulging vein on my upper right rib cage. it is sensitive to the touch and only protrudes for about an inch and a half. Is this something i should be concerned about? there is no bruises around the area, and i havent fallen or bumped into anything that i can remember. it hurts when stretched and is only visible when i reach upward.
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I do not see any reason for concern.

This simply could be due to some pressure, some irritation of the local skin.

Please do the following which should help.

-Avoid tight fitting clothes
-Avoid pressure on the part
-You can apply any skin lotion on it, if it hurts you
-Take analgesics in case of pain.

Please visit a doctor if:

-pain increases
-the size increases
-you find any other things like more redness, swelling etc.

In most of the cases it should fine in couple of days.

Wishing you good health.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor