Got a bulging vein on my upper rib cage. Is this something i should be concerned about?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have what seems like a bulging vein on my upper right rib cage. it is sensitive to the touch and only protrudes for about an inch and a half. Is this something i should be concerned about? there is no bruises around the area, and i havent fallen or bumped into anything that i can remember. it hurts when stretched and is only visible when i reach upward.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I do not see any reason for concern.

This simply could be due to some pressure, some irritation of the local skin.

Please do the following which should help.

-Avoid tight fitting clothes
-Avoid pressure on the part
-You can apply any skin lotion on it, if it hurts you
-Take analgesics in case of pain.

Please visit a doctor if:

-pain increases
-the size increases
-you find any other things like more redness, swelling etc.

In most of the cases it should fine in couple of days.

Dr.Pragnesh