Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Getting marriage with a relative. How to prevent genetic problem during conceiving?

Answered by
Dr. Manjeet Mehta

Genetics Specialist

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3 Questions

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Genetics
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am going to marry my uncle daughter, and its a second generation in marriaging a relation. My Dad and mother are different, but her dad and mother are relations. My marriage is fixed after 6months. And i know their is a possibility of some genetic problem may come for our child, but any way we two love each other much. So please suggest what are the preventive action we should take in our life to minimise or stop some genetic problem for our child. Your inputs are very high decision making for our life. Please give your valuable inputs.
Answered by Dr. Manjeet Mehta 33 hours later

Marrying someone who is related to you i.e. a consanguineous marriage, has definitely an increased chance of having a baby with genetic defect(s).
What defect(s) could be possible in the baby would depend on several factors like degree of consanguinity and caste / community.
There are certain conditions which are more prevalent in certain communities.
When you say uncle’s daughter, I am assuming your father / mother’s real brother’s daughter. This is first degree consanguinity.
Are there any genetic conditions known in either of your families (developmental delays, physical dysmorphism, etc.)?
Have there been any sudden medical deaths?
Has any female member of your families had a miscarriage?
Does anyone have any long term medical condition (e.g.: diabetes, hypertension, asthma, etc.)?
If your answer to any of the above is yes, you do have an increased chance of having a baby with the major genetic condition.
If you belong to certain communities where genetic conditions are known to be highly prevalent, you could get yourself tested to know if any of you are carriers of that condition.

This is the maximum of ‘common’ advice that someone can give you. Since you are thinking of taking advice, the best thing would be to consult a qualified geneticist in your city. They will guide you specific to your case.

In any case, nowadays no one says not to get married with cousins. Even if you have a high chance of having babies with a genetic condition, get married, plan a pregnancy, then you could get a prenatal testing done and then decide whether you want to continue with the pregnancy or not. After all it is an increased ‘chance’, not that you cannot have normal babies!
Good Luck.

Dr Manjeet Mehta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Asthma

doctor1 MD

Good Morning, I am 71 years of age and have been taking Alendronic & calichew tablets for a approx. 4 years. I have developed little white spots all over my face. Is this due to the calcium intake? I also use a becotide inhaler morning and evening.

doctor1 MD

I'm a 58 yrs. old man having 5'4" and 63kgs. I would like to donate my kidney and liver. So far, by HIS grace, I'm healthy. No sugar, no pressure. Only complaint is that I'm a chronic allergic for cold. I'll take inhaler for Asthma maximum once in a month. Am i eligible for that. If so how long to recover to lead a normal life? Is both can be done at a stretch? Is my age is a hindrance for the receiver?
Kindly answer me.
Thank You

doctor1 MD

My husband is 49, 6'4", very healthy-fit. He has been having lung restriction and unusual heart beat feelings. The heart doctor has found an occassional extra heart beat that he is not worried about. The lung doctor has tested his lungs for asthma and says his lungs look great. He quickly runs out of breath doing fairly light exercise, like steps. This is VERY unusual. However, when he does the treadmill at the doctor, he seems to do well. Also, he is experiencing small bruises on his eyelids that come and go, carpal tunnel, and erectile dysfunction. Any connections? The doctors are still testing, but hoping you can provide some insight.

doctor1 MD

my husband had a big operation on his ear 16 years ago he has had angina for 6 years just found out that he has had c o p d over the last 2 or 3 yeas and for the last few months his right nostril has been bleeding he has astma and it was his right ear aswell

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My wife seems to be have mumps , her right cheek is swolen and she has pain. She wanted to take Ibuprofen , however the medicine instructions states check with your doctor if you have asthma . do you have any other pain reliever or pain...

doctor1 MD

Good Morning, I am caregiver for my Father who is 95. He has asthma , COPD, just had a stent inserted in his right aortic valve and is due to have a valve replacemt next week. Last thursday he started feeling ill, cough , clight fever, took him to...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, Need your expert advice here,request you to please guide me on this and let me know the further process Medical history 1. Bronchitis asthma 2. Thalassemia Minor 3. Severe Iron deficiency anemia 4. Shoulder pain , muscle pain in...