Getting itching in anal region. Undergone LORD and IRC for fissure. Because of dry skin?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,my wife getting anal region itching quite frequently.
1 month before my wife had undergone LORD and IRC for fissure and second degree piles. Before this procedure also she was having anal itching
15 days before she got loose motion because of overdose of antibiotics(taken during piles procedure and viral flu).
After that she is again now getting anal itching. Itching such way that it is very mild (not all the times).
While passing the motion no pain and no bleeding. But when she scratch due to itching after that she will get little bit pain.
We have consulted doctor who has done procedure. He told becuse of antibiotics during procedure and loose motion and all that environment alterted. Fungal infection happened. Given probiotics tab for 5 day and "Alerect" Tablet for 5 days and anti fungal ointment. Some what ok during those five days.
But now also some times she is getting itching irritation in anal part.Some days not there some times she is gettig mild itching for 2 minute. She will scratch like anything. Usualy she will notice this itching when on XXXXXXX day(her skin is very dry), after passing motion.
Why this itching frequently coming?
Whether this because of her dry skin or traces of motion in anus or is it because of infection or is there any chance of piles again?
What we can do next?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later

It is not actually a cause for alarm. This is a common manifestation observed after such surgery. However, dryness around the anal region after surgery and fissures could cause itching. It could be appropriate for her to revisit his operating doctor. The whip worm or other fungal infection could be rare causes of itching around the anal region.

A stool exam to look out for the whip worm could be appropriate. A stool examination, culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests could be an option to better evaluate and exclude the case is not fungal or parasitic.

As I said, its a common post surgical manifestation which usually subsides with time. However, a consultation with her physician to exclude any dryness, fissures or fungal or parasitic infection could be beneficial.

Thanks and rapid recovery.
Nsah, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E