Owl Image

Getting headache, pain in arm, leg and thigh. Taking ibuprofen. Could this be due to nerve damage?

Owl Image
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Question
4 weeks today post lap-choly. No pain from the actual lap-choly, but have had excruciating leg, thigh and arm pain (right side,) and in addition starting last week what I'm calling 'spot' headaches. They last for about 30 seconds in one spot, but in different areas of my head. Have been checked for blood clots in both legs, arm and neck - all negative, but the pain still exists. Is this nerve damage? Concerned that now am getting headaches. Twice have had 'star/electrical' blast in my head at the start of a headache near my ear-just at the bottom of my eye socket on the right side. Chest pain (much like my gallbladder attacks, have ceased mostly - though occasional flare. Again, most of this occuring on the right. Ideas? Just started taking ibuprofen again last per ER physicians suggestion.
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
After a major surgery, it takes 6-8 weeks for the body to come back to normal. The symptoms that you are experiencing are not likely to be related to a nerve damage. An electrolyte imbalance or hormonal disturbance like vitamin D 3 deficiency or stress seem to be the more likely causes.
You need to start having plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like oralyte and healthy XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. You can also get your serum electrolytes evaluated in case the symptoms are persistent. Meanwhile continue taking the mild pain killer like ibuprofen.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.