Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

G6PD deficient patient. Which medicine should I take for fever?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
Can I know the list of medicines that a G6PD patient can take for fever?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I assume "G6PD patient" refers to G6PD deficient patient.

Firstly, a list cannot be prepared by even arbitrarily deleting many drugs (>50 to be precise) that are certainly not to be used in G6PD deficiency patient depending on the classification of the disease and severity which is broadly of 3 grades.

Secondly, this fever you have mentioned about needs to investigated first to ascertain the cause. As a doctor aims to treat the underlying cause which has caused fever in the first place, rather than giving a drug which has anti-pyretic action which symptomatically does reduce fever for a while, and does not take care of the cause.

Thirdly, this patient needs clinical evaluation in entirety and cannot be treated just by referring to the list in books or internet. For eg. age, sex, onset, duration, periodicity, associated symptoms and so on. This evaluation will also include a clinical examination of the body as necessary by the consulting physician.

I would be happy if you can elaborate on the patient you have written here for, with any necessary reports for a more comprehensive answer from me.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor