Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffer from G6PD deficiency. Is it safe to get tattoo done?

I suffer from a G6PD deficiency which is an enzyme/red blood cells condition. I m interested in getting a permanent tattoo, and while online research has indicated I should stay away from henna tattoos specifically, there is little material available on normal permanent tattoos. My question is, with my G6PD deficiency, can I get a permanent tattoo safely?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  682
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Permanent tattoos involve injecting certain dyes in the skin with a needle.
G-6-PD deficiency causes degradation and precipitation of hemoglobin in RBCs under conditions of oxidative stress.
Oxidative stress is caused by number of conditions like certain drugs.
You must be well versed that you have to avoid certain drugs, the list of which must have been given to you by your doctor.
The composition of the fluids / dyes used for injecting are not known.
They may contain certain agents which cause oxidative stress and thus degradation and precipitation of hemoglobin in the RBCs.
There is a risk of transmitting certain diseases like HBV, HIV, etc if unsterile needles are used.
So, one needs to be vigilant that the needle used are unused and sterile.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Answered: Wed, 17 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor