Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Fractures, dislocations, left lateral thigh bruised, tender lump on bruised area, impossible to lay on left side. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I fell about 9 feet onto a boulder 8 months ago. I landed on my left side. I had a displaced left humerus fracture, left thumb (CMC joint) dislocation and fracture, and right lateral ankle dislocation, severe sprain, and chondral fracture. Within 1 hour of the fall, my left lateral thigh had a huge, XXXXXXX bruise. I brought it to the attention of the ED staff at the time but they were not interested (since I had more obviously severe injuries). I had to make them look at it and they said "ok" and that was it. The bruise healed within a couple weeks and I haven't had any complaints. After several months, I was finally able to lay on my side and I noticed what felt like a very XXXXXXX tender lump where the bruise used to be. I haven't been able to palpate it myself (I have kind of large thighs) but I feel it when I lay on my side and it makes it impossible to sleep on my left side. Is this something I should be concerned about and bring to the attention of my orthopaedic surgeon or just give it time? I am 29 years old, female, 210lbs, 5'8", in great health and am fairly active. Thank you for your time!
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The bruise in the thigh that you suffered 8 months ago must have been associated with injured soft tissue which after healing lead to a fibrozed area which might be felt as a firm immovable lump.
In case the lump is only mildly painful only on XXXXXXX pressure, then you can do a hot fomentation in the area for symptomatic relief. Such lumps do sometimes take years to resolve on their own.
In case there are any skin color changes, pain- intense and local raised temperature then it is suggestive of an infection in the area which must be brought to the attention of your orthopedician for proper examination and treatment.
An MRI of the area will help in detecting any damage in the area. Consulting an orthopedician for a detailed examination and appropriate investigations will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor