Found plural effusion on chest and prescribed TB medicine rcinex. Why do I still get chest pain?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: bef 5 months doctor found plural effusion on my right side of chest , after fluid was tested it was found as chest infection, and doctor prescribed as TB medicine such as rcinex cumbutol etc , i use to go for regular cheakup and x ray but still i have pain on my right side of chest may i know what reason it can be?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pain is due to pleural fibrosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Tuberculosis is often associated with pleural effusion. Pleural effusion is accumulation of fluid in the pleural cavity. With the treatment for tuberculosis the effusion resolves. Resolution of the effusion leads to residual fibrosis. Fibrosis refers to accumulation of thick collagen bands. These bands compromise the elasticity of the lung parenchyma. During respiration, the pleura moves and this movement causes pain. The pain is of no consequence and it will resolve with time. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
is tat any thing serious ,I m vry much worried, even I have brest pain too
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 21 hours later
Brief Answer: There is nothing to worry about the chest pain Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, There is nothing to worry about the pleural pain. It does not signify any disease or progression of any disease. Is there any association of breast pain with menstrual cycles? Is the pain continuous or occurs occasionally? Is there any associated nipple discharge> Kindly let me know these answers so that I can help you further. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja p Wahal
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 9 hours later
no ther is not nipple discharge, accurately pain is on my under of right brest and side of the brest, it does not relate with menstrual cycle
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer: The pain is not related to breast. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Since, the pain is not associated with menstruation or discharge, it is unlikely to be due to any breast ailment. The pain is most likely due to pleural fibrosis as a result of tuberculosis. There is nothing to worry about it. It will take time to resolve. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E