Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Found growth on lips. How to treat it?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues


Practicing since :1993

Answered : 1196 Questions

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daugther (13 years old) has the pictured growth on her lip. We are wondering how to best treat it. She says it hardens and she peels it off and when she does it hurts. If she doesn't peel it off she says it turns bumpy and brown.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Hi there.
It does appear to be angular cheilitis that is probably traumatic in nature with constant picking at the lesion & or aggravated by the braces et al she wears...perchance did it start after this?... One could begin with using a topical kenalog orabase cream & ingesting a B-complex medication once/daily for a month.
If it does not resolve by then, a visit to the dermatologist will be in order. It may have to be excised using laser surgery depending on the doctor's experience & visual opinion in person.
Do Hope this will have given you direction to make an informed deciscion. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Cheilitis

doctor1 MD

My 23 year old son has a severe case of exfoliative cheilitis. He has been to several doctors and dermatologists and nobody seems to be able to help him. He is getting quite discouraged and depressed. Can you recommend anybody in the NYC area who specializes in treating this? Or what could you recommend? He is getting desperate.

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor The left side corner of the lower and lips and it's lowercvrrmillion border is giving me trouble , I feel like it's dry and some kind of tape is stuck to it sometimes , sometimes I feel little bit of itchy in the corner where the...

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor This is XXXX , I am presently in south XXXXXXX ... for the past couple of days the right side lower lips is red like rashes sometimes sometimes it is not . Also today there was many dead skin around the vermillion border so I wiped it...

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor Could somebody please tell me what this lip rash looks like. It's hurting like as though the skin got peeled or something like that.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doc, I have a lot of dry skin under my bottom lip and a few patches over my top lip. I fear it might be the beginning of Angular Cheilitis, which is something I don't want to deal with again. Is there anything I can do now before the cracks on the corners of my lips appear?

doctor1 MD

My lips seem to be constantly irritated for the past 3 months. I believe it started as an allergic reaction (I had weeping, crusting, swelling) but now its cheilitis. My lips are often dry and peel frequently. They have red blotches on vermillion boarder.. At times the outline of my lips go red then subside. I tried every cream possible... they all have short-lived effects

doctor1 MD

My lips have turned black and I have a burning sensation in them and a tingling in my mouth. Also around my face starts itching then my whole body starts itching I ve been put on antihistamines and something else that blocks the histamine in the body but nothing works. I am at my wits end please help