Found growth on lips. How to treat it?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daugther (13 years old) has the pictured growth on her lip. We are wondering how to best treat it. She says it hardens and she peels it off and when she does it hurts. If she doesn't peel it off she says it turns bumpy and brown.

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Hi there.
It does appear to be angular cheilitis that is probably traumatic in nature with constant picking at the lesion & or aggravated by the braces et al she wears...perchance did it start after this?... One could begin with using a topical kenalog orabase cream & ingesting a B-complex medication once/daily for a month.
If it does not resolve by then, a visit to the dermatologist will be in order. It may have to be excised using laser surgery depending on the doctor's experience & visual opinion in person.
Do Hope this will have given you direction to make an informed deciscion. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD