For the past few months I've noticed my nose getting

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Sun, 3 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: For the past few months I've noticed my nose getting stuffy without being Ill, I blamed my new cat, thinking it was an allergic reaction. Long story short, I find myself using nasal spray pretty often to allow me to breath through my nose. I'm worried I'm becoming too dependant on nasal spray. What could cause this? and should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably an allergic reaction,you should not be worried.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to an allergic reaction.

Based on the fact that your symptoms have some moths, I recommend you to do some examinations to confirm the cause.

I suggest :

A complete blood count

Ig E level

Allergy tests

Meanwhile, I would recommend you to use antihistamines such as Levocetirizine 10 mg daily.

I also recommend to use only saline nasal sprays for local relieve. Avoid using steroid nasal sprays for a long period due to side effects.

I suggest you to drink liquids which can thin the nasal secretions and use a humidifier at home.

After the examinations you can contact me again for further evaluation and a more specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T