Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Fibromatosis,foot pain.Surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12711 Questions
Hi I am a very active 29 year old female just diagnosed with plantar fibromatosis. I love to run, hike, snowboard and do other such activites. I have been having great pain in my foot for a few months now and my doctor wants me to wait 3-4 weeks to see if things will calm down. I can no longer do the activities I love. What is your feeling on the best treatment for an active individual? He wants to do surgery if things are not better, but I don't see very good things about the surgery.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
Plantar fibromatosis if it mild and in earlier stage, mostly improves on taking mild pain killers. Hot fomentation of the sole specially around the heel also helps.
You can also do a mild massage on the underside of your foot just when you first get up in the morning.
This is an age related degenerative change and the decision to go for surgical treatment depends on the extent of problem that you are having.
With the mild pain killers and probably steroids under your orthopedician's guidance, you can return back to most of your routine daily activities comfortably.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor