Felt sharp pain in knee. Noticed swelling on knee cap and ankle. What should I do?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was bowling on New years day and I felt a sharp pain in my knee but kept bowwling and the next day it was swollen and was in a lot of pain, now the plain in under the knee cap and my calf and ankl are swollen. also behind my knee its really tight. What have I done and what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscular or ligamentous strain.

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Wear an elastic bandage. This helps keep your injured knee from moving too much while it heals. It should be tight enough for you to feel support. It should not be so tight that it causes your toes to be numb or tingly.
4. Do not put full weight or try to do activity that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 minutes later
Why is my calf and ankle swollen now since it was my knee that injured.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

If proper rest and immobilization is not given to the injured part, swelling can occur to the part distal to it. This is most likely explanation of your calf and ankle swelling.

I hope that clears your doubts.Let me know if you need further assistance

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 minutes later
does it sound like i will need my acl or the other stuff corrected? The sharp pain under the front of my knee cap and the pain behind my knee cap has me worried and everyone seems to think i will need it fixed my a operatioon. what do you think?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later

There might be a tear of ligament(cruciate or collateral) or meniscus. Decission of operation depend upon grade of tear and severity of symptoms.Initial grades can be managed conservatively. So I advice you get it evaluated by an orthopaedician for proper diagnosis and MRI to see the grade and type of tear.

You can upload the MRI reports by yourself at the right side of the query page.Please utilize that so that I can help you in better way.

I hope I have provided you the right guidance. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon