Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Felt lump on back of neck. Which specialist should I consult?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9334 Questions
i see a lump on back of my neck, I have this for more than 6 months now, what sort of doctor should I consult?. Just wanted to check if its benign or lymphoma, or anything else?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
This is probably benign. in more than 95% it is. lymphomas and other malignancies arent very usual at this age. most common causes of this lumps are lipomas, atheromas or subcutaneous fibromas and it can be easily removed surgicaly. any general surgeon can exscise it in local anasthaesia.and it can be sent for analysis to confirm benignity.
wish i ve been helpful and wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Felt lump on back of neck. Which specialist should I consult? 2 hours later
Thanks for the response. It was knowledgeable and useful. But I wanted to know what sort of doctor should I consult? Should I consult a general physician / Dermatologist/..?.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 minutes later
No,dematologists not. General surgeons or ENT doctors do it. You can ask your familly physician what is better option. If it becomes inflammed and painful then it can be done in ER. If he suspects something serious then doctor may recommend ultrasound and punction of it before removal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor