Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Fell down and tooth broke partially. Is it safe to go for root canal treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 8 Questions
My 7 Yrs daughter fell down last month and her front tooth (which is a permanent one) got broken (40 % of the tooth lost).
Since Yesterday she is feeling pain in her tooth, when I visit a local Dr, She is suggesting to go for Root Canal Treatment.

Suggest me What are the possible treatments in these kind of situations.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 24 hours later
Hi! Thanks for your query.

At age 7 years, a child's front tooth being broken is a disturbing event. Since it is a permanent tooth, it will require care and proper treatment to preserve it and restore functioning.

You have mentioned, the broken tooth is now causing pain. It is possible that the pulp has been exposed thereby leading to infection and thus the local dentist has suggested Root Canal Treatment (RCT). An IntraOral PeriApical X-ray (IOPA) will further help us to rule out periapical pathology.

In a 7 yr old child, the root apex is not closed. This happens around ten years of age. Therefore, we first perform apexification (closure of the root apex) and then we would perform RCT. Following RCT and stabilisation of the tooth, an acrylic crown may protect the tooth from further infection as well as restore functioning.

I hope that I have addressed your concerns and query adequately.

With best wishes,

Dr (Mrs) Ashu Gupta,
Pediatric Dentist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor