Fell down and landed on knee, hand and chest. Getting pain in chest. How to get relief?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi...I fell the other day and landed on my knee, hand, and chest. I still have pain in my chest on the bone right above my breast - kind of between the breast - not sure if it is called the breast bone or rib cafe area. I don't have any bruising but getting up from a bed and even driving is hard to do without some pain. The bone really hurts! Taking over the counter pain reliever during the day. Should I ice the area or apply heat? THANKS!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later

From description, it seems soft tissue injury over your breastbone area.

You need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile I advice you -

To give rest to affected area.
Ice the affected area instead of applying heat.
You can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain under supervision of your treating doctor.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery.
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan