Fell down and landed on chest. Difficulty to breath and unable to move arm. Any relief?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I tripped and fell a week ago, landed almost flat on my chest my forehead bounced and injuries are that my arm hasn't been moveable. My chest on my left side under my left breast is sunken in a bit and I cant take a XXXXXXX breath. I though it was just bruised and this is the first time I have been able to feel and check it. Now my shoulder is throbbing and my left hand is darker then my right. Going to a clinic tomorrow but don't have insurance.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

I have noted the details submitted with diligence. It seems that you have injuries associated with ribs / chest and shoulder/arm. Without a clinical examination I am unable to associate the exact areas affected. However based on your description you may have a fracture of ribs and fracture/dislocation of shoulder.

It is advisable to consult an orthopedic for careful evaluation of injuries. But if the lack of insurance does not permit you a specialist visit, you can get few X-rays done (Chest X-ray and X-ray of shoulder) done through a less expensive clinic to sort the injuries.

In the interim, please ice the affected area. Rest the injured parts adequately. You may take over the counter antiinflammatory drugs for pain relief.

I hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad