Feeling tightness in chest and hurts while swallowing. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: i took XXXXXXX last night and i started feeling a tightness in my chest. After i got home i smoked weed to calm myself down and i went to sleep with a strong pain in my chest and trouble swallowing because my throat hurts. My glands are swollen in my neck and it hurts my chest to laugh and cry.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Hi there,

Though chest pain has causes related to heart and every chest pain should be assessed as emergency, it may not be so in your case.

Legally I will be advising you to visit ER, as the seriousness you describe seems alarming.
Here are my explanations for your complaints.

If you are known to have similar past issues it is likely to be related to allergic rhinitis and bronchitis with or without asthma. As you also describe of sore throat, the tonsillar infection too is likely to cause throat and chest discomfort.

If you had fever around, it will be good to get tested for mononucleosis too.

Hope this helps you. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E