Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Feeling pain in groin area and lump in base of penis. Pain is more when touched. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 756 Questions
I am a 24 year old healthy male, yesterday I started to feel a slight pain in my right groin area and in the shower felt a lump at the base of my penis where it meets the groin and figured it is an ingrown hair or something since i shaved a couple of days ago but this morning the pain of the lump increases when i touch it and there is more pain in the groin area also when pressed. what could it be?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 26 minutes later
Good day and thank you for choosing healthcare magic.

Pain in the right groin area could be several things: 1) an inguinal hernia - an inguinal hernia develops from a natural weakness in the abdominal area. It is characterized by a gradually increasing scrotal mass or lump. 2) a scrotal varicocele - scrotal varices are dilated veins in the scrotal area, this is brought about defective valves in the veins. Varicocoeles are more common in the right side and is seen as a bag of grapes in the scrotum.

I would be thinking more of an inguinal hernia than ingrown hair/folliculitis in your case and I would suggest an ultrasound of both inguinal and scrota area to confirm the presence of a hernia. Your local doctor can write this test for you.

Avoid strenuous activities and wear tight fitting underwear to prevent further increase in hernia size.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor