Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Feeling lump in throat and tightness in chest. Feeling bloated. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
I wake up pretty congested the afternoon I often get the feeling of a lump in my throat with some tightness in chest and short winded feeling. I may get light headed or tired then two. This strange episode seems to last about 45 minutes....(spacey feeling) and then eventually passes...I also notice a bloated happens daily....
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Thanks for writing here.

You described that you feel a lump in the throat, chest tightness, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, bloating and tiredness lasting for 45 minutes. This group of symptoms are not classical representation of organic medical pathology. However couple of medical illness which are closely match your symptoms are as follows:

1. Gastroesophageal reflux disease - here the undigested acidic contents from the stomach regurgitate into the food pipe leading to wide variety of symptom; though heart burns is the common description, other variety of symptoms can be present. You may read about it and verify if you have other symptoms of it.

2. Heart rhythm disorder - I understand you been checked for heart in the past, however some arrhythmia's can occur paroxysmally without indication. Only way to isolate such disturbances is by round the clock heart monitoring which is possible with Holter. You can discuss about 24 hour / 7 days monitoring with your doctor.

Besides these two, generalized anxiety may be the cause. I don't say what you have is anxiety alone, but you need to consider if all other organic causes are ruled out.

It would be extremely difficult to distinguish the aforementioned conditions without a doctor's help - direct examination and evaluation. Therefore I urge you to visit your primary healthcare provider and discuss your symptoms. You can discuss about GERD and arrhythmia with them and keep me updated. Moreover you also will need to check your hemoglobin and iron stores (iron deficiency).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you are interested to know more about the condition.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling lump in throat and tightness in chest. Feeling bloated. Remedy? 7 hours later
Thankyou Dr XXXXXXX for your feedback on this condition. I did wear a heart monitor last summer for 6 weeks and checked out ok. I think the GERD that you describe feeds into anxiety and amplifies it for me....Could it be an ulcer also? Sometimes I sense a gurgle sensation in my upper gut. Should I try an antacid like Tums when I feel this? I will get checked by my physician here soon but appreciate your insights for my condition. Yes, can you tell me if GERD relates to bloatedness in my belly? This is uncomfortable! Much thanks....
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Hi, welcome back...

As I mentioned in my previous reply GERD has varied presentation. Heart burn is the commonest. Other common symptoms include bloatedness, indigestion, chest tightness, stomach gurgling and shortness of breath.

Anxiety can worsen GERD. Hence it is related. You will need to manage anxiety adequately for better results.

There is a very thin line between GERD and stomach ulcer. We differentiate it by upper GI endoscopy. I would definitely recommend use of Tums as you plan consulting a doctor. Prilosec OTC is other alternative drug.

Besides reviewing GERD I will also advise blood test - hemogram and thyroid test - in patients with similar symptoms. You can ask your doctor when you XXXXXXX one.

Apply a healthy diet and life style as described on free websites. If you like to learn those details write to me

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. If there are no follow ups, please close this discussion.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor