Feeling discomfort and weird sensation in lower ribcage. What could be causing this?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi. I sometimes have some discomfort in the lower ribcage, not painful but really uncomfortable. Kinda feels as though something's pushing against my ribs when sitting up so I tend to lay on my side just to feel comfortable. It's always in the left side. Another thing is I recently bent down to pick up something and felt a weird sensation in the lower RIGHT rib area. It's hard to describe but sort of like when you're pregnant and the baby kicks against the ribs. I'm not pregnant though. An when feeling the area i felt something hard which feels like bone and is about the size of half a rib. It's about an inch or two below rib cage and isn't on my left side which is what concerns me. It feels hard, smooth and a bit 'rounded' is this normal? What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

It could be a floating rib.With floating ribs, the rib joints are too loose, so the rib never stays in the proper position. Pain from a floating rib usually changes when you change positions, and it may come and go throughout the day.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta