Feeling bloated, irregular bowel movement and uncomfortable in lower abdomen. Any advice?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My stomach feels bloated, feel uncomfortable at times in lower abdomen, stool are not fully formed and infrequently motion is watery. I have taken antibiotics Cifran OZ anf Cifran CT in the past. Get relief but the problem crops up again after some time.
Please advice

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the symptoms you described, may occur due to many causes like infection by bacteria or parasite, excessive stress leading to irritable bowel syndrome, side effects of antihypertensive drugs, any lesion in gastrointestinal tract etc.

To differentiate these from each other you have to be clinically examined first. Then stool examination should be done for presence of any particular organisms. Then, if clinically indicated, endoscopy should be done. H.pylori may also be a causative agent for which some special investigation like urea breath test should be done.

But, overall, most probably, you are suffering from diarrhoea predominant irritable bowel syndrome.

Now, treatment. You have to do the following
1. Do some free hand exercise daily to lower the stress.
2. Take a balanced and nutritious diet. Avoid fast foods. Take some light food every 2 hours.
3. Take pantoprazole group of drug every day in empty stomach before breakfast. You can continue this for 6 weeks or more depending upon the response.
4. You have to take loperamide group of drugs.
5. In parasitic infection , you have to take albendzole group of drug.
6. You have to take low dose sedative agents like alprazolam to lower the stress.

To conclude, you have to consult with a gastroenterologist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering the required investigations, and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.