Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

198 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Feeling bloated, irregular bowel movement and uncomfortable in lower abdomen. Any advice?

Answered by
Dr. Das Arindam

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1416 Questions

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My stomach feels bloated, feel uncomfortable at times in lower abdomen, stool are not fully formed and infrequently motion is watery. I have taken antibiotics Cifran OZ anf Cifran CT in the past. Get relief but the problem crops up again after some time.
Please advice

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the symptoms you described, may occur due to many causes like infection by bacteria or parasite, excessive stress leading to irritable bowel syndrome, side effects of antihypertensive drugs, any lesion in gastrointestinal tract etc.

To differentiate these from each other you have to be clinically examined first. Then stool examination should be done for presence of any particular organisms. Then, if clinically indicated, endoscopy should be done. H.pylori may also be a causative agent for which some special investigation like urea breath test should be done.

But, overall, most probably, you are suffering from diarrhoea predominant irritable bowel syndrome.

Now, treatment. You have to do the following
1. Do some free hand exercise daily to lower the stress.
2. Take a balanced and nutritious diet. Avoid fast foods. Take some light food every 2 hours.
3. Take pantoprazole group of drug every day in empty stomach before breakfast. You can continue this for 6 weeks or more depending upon the response.
4. You have to take loperamide group of drugs.
5. In parasitic infection , you have to take albendzole group of drug.
6. You have to take low dose sedative agents like alprazolam to lower the stress.

To conclude, you have to consult with a gastroenterologist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering the required investigations, and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Alpramazole 0.25

doctor1 MD

we have been giving 0.5 mg Restyl to my mom who is a patient of Grade IV Gliobastom. Recently due to lack of sleep for almost a week, the doctor asked me to increase the dose of Restyl. I find her very sloppy and in a drowsy state. Is ti because of the increased dosage. pls respond

doctor1 MD

hello doctor I am a 54 year male 5.7 weigh 174 pound and recently I went to the hospital because I had shortness of breath ,what I felt was that my throat was getting tight and Icould not breath easy,in the hospital they could not find anything wrong and they diagnosis was that I had a panic attack and gave me a pill alprazolam 0.25 mg following days I have felt the shortness of breath at times but mostly when I eat passing the stage of satisfied to be feeling full,my doctor recomended me to see a cardiology which I did and he found on the stress test that as I understod the bottom part of the heart is not getting enough flow ,all the other 2 test he did pass ok,so he is going to performe a cardiac catherization to be sure that is not the problem of my shortness of breath, my question is ,is this procedure painfull, what will I feel and usually how many days I will be not able to work

doctor1 MD

Hi, I ve had a hemerrhoid for about 3 months now and I m also taking xanax and paroxetina for my anxiety. Recently, though, I ve started to feel numb in my left abdomen region (just under the ribcage) and a while ago a had a metallic taste in my mouth while I was eating. I was just wondering if this is cause for alarm or is it related to the medications?

doctor1 MD

My father is having COPD disease & he is on Inhalers use daily (Duolin) Doctors of lala Ram Swarup TV hospital Mehrauli after complete diagnostic told me that surgery cant bring any improvement so he is continuing the drugs. From the last few Days he has lost appetite & sleep. He has lost self confidence & saying that anxeity problems he is facing. Since he was not sleep from the last one week he gave him 0.25 mg alprazolam to induce a temporary sleep after taking which My father has a sleep but his face,eyelds are swallon which seems a allergic reaction. Since he is not in a position to move to hospital could you advise what i should do.

doctor1 MD

If I took to many alprozlam could it kill me?

doctor1 MD

If I took to many alprozlam could it kill me?

doctor1 MD

i have been on xanax on and off from many years for panic attacks, I have only took them in emergencies. In the last year I have only taken 6 at 0.5 in the last year. My Dr told me i am not allowed to take them anymore and has put me on seroquel...