Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Fall on the knee, iced bruise, cant put pressure on leg, back of knee swollen, shin bruised. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12683 Questions
Age: 23 5'10 150
Q: I was playing basketball a week ago and I got tangled up and took a knee to the back of my knee. I fell to the floor in pain, but picked myself up and tried to walk it off. I iced it and the next day I could barely put any pressure on my leg. The back of my knee was swollen and my calve and XXXXXXX was tight and bruised. Its been about a week and it has gotten a little bit better but still bruised. Can u help explain?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

From your description it seems that you might have got your knee joint ligament injured. Since even after one week of injury the swelling is present and you are not able to bear your body weight on the joint it means that the injury to the joint is serious and needs attention.

First of all an X-ray of the knee joint is needed to rule out any bony injury. For diagnosing the soft tissue or ligament injuries, MRI is the best non-invasive procedure. Otherwise arthroscopy helps both in diagnosis and in treatment to repair the ligament tear if it is present.

Knee joint swelling is most likely due to accumulation of blood in the joint cavity after injury which needs to be drained by an orthopaedician. The stiffness of calf muscles may be secondary to the haemarthrosis of knee or may be primarily a result of direct injury to that area.

You can use a compression bandage on your knee joint and avoid weight bearing on the joint till you consult your orthopaedician for treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor