Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Experiencing numbness and tingling in arm. On ibuprofen. Getting sore neck. How to treat this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 37 Questions
Several weeks ago I started experiencing numbness and tingling in my left arm. I've had this happen many many times before and was usually accompanied by an anxiety attack. It had always just gone away after several hours. But this time it just stayed numb day after day.Then two weeks ago I started getting alot of pain in my upper left shoulder blade like someone pushing the eraser end of a pencil into me. The numbness in my arm got worse as did the pain so i went to a chiropractor. He took xrays and informed me that he found a "calcified mass" where all my pain was originating and that it was swelling, pinching nerves, and cutting off the circulation to my arm. I've been using ibuprofen and icing it every couple of hours daily and seeing the chiropractor once a week for ultrasound treatment and adjustments but the problem doesn't seem to get any better. The sharp pain in my back comes on regularly and the numbness and tingling in my left arm still persists, though I do have days here and there where it feels a little better. I am now getting extremely sore in my neck like I've been head-banging for hours on end end. Sleep is impossible when any of these symptoms come on and I'm starting to get worried that this problem can't be solved with just a chiropractor. He also can't seem to give me a straight answer on what this problem is, how long it will take to heal, or what kind of results i can expect. I'm a painter, which doesn't help, and devout guitar player. Any thoughts on what this condition might be? And can you please offer some advice on how i should go about treating this issue. Do I need to see a doctor other than my chiropractor? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 4 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic
You seem to have cervical radiculopathy. Your nerves are getting entrapped at the exit region near your spine.
I don't know what that calcific mass is. If at all it is there where and how much significant it is. X XXXXXXX wont give a proper picture of the severity of problem.
The best modality would be an MR imaging of spine and later if needed a neurologist emergently. He/she will examine you and advise you regarding further investigations and treatment.

Should have any more query or concern feel free to ask.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Neeraj Baheti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Experiencing numbness and tingling in arm. On ibuprofen. Getting sore neck. How to treat this problem? 8 hours later
Thank you Dr. for your response. Is this possibly something serious? I do not have health insurance and to see the neurologist as a cash pt is quit expensive.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 15 hours later
Since this problem is worsening you should better consult at least a GP. If he/she insist you may have to see a specialist.

Best Wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor