Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Ear pain and nose blowing in a child. Taking sinarest. How can the ear pain be cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10367 Questions
My 2 and half year old son complains of ear pain and cried for a long time after nose blowing, he has severe cold too. He is having Sinarrest for the past 2 days, but still the cold is a bit severe. What to do for this ear pain?
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the ear while having cold is likely to be due to congestion in the inner ear. Blowing the nose causes the pressure changes which might result in pain.
In addition to using sinarest drops or spray in the nose you can give him steam inhalation.
Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Tell the child to inhale it by covering him with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves pain and inflammation to some extent.
Mild pain killer like acetaminophen will also be of help.
In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting an ENT specialist to rule out inner ear infection would be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor