Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Dry scaly skin, cuts on palms, soles, icthyosis. No family history. Methods to eradicate this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
Dr XXXXXXX - my skin problem is related to my 3.5 years old daughter. can i share it right now.
She has dry scaly skin and cuts on palms and soles. It appears Icthyosis to dermatolosgist whom we have consulted. This is our first baby and no history of the diease in my paternal side or my wife side. Can you guide us to know if we can get this cured through Alopathy or not? Also let us know if there is any possibility of the diease getting eradicated at the later stage of her life? My Name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from Gurgaon, Haryana India. can i request you to call me at 0000 if possible to share views.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
Ichthyosis is a skin disease where the skin of extremities look like dry and scaly just like fish scales and runs in families though it might affect anybody.
The history pointed about your daughter that she is having cuts in palms and soles suggests that it is palmoplanter keratoderma, another heriditary disorder where such lesions are seen.
One needs to keep area moisturised and topical steroids and keatolytics are used to clear the skin.
Oral Vit- A suuplementation can also benefit most patients.


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor