Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Done knee replacement. Right foot turns outward, hip pain, bump on foot. Do I need knee replacement again?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10347 Questions
I had two knee replacements and one revision within a three year period. My orthopedist told me he had to put my knee in crooked and told me if someone else saw it they would think he was drunk when he did the surgery. My problem now is my right foot turns outward so bad I must walk sideways and I feel like my ankle is gonna break. And my hip hurts so severely I can't stand it.and my right foot has a bump on it due to the way I must walk. Do you feel I need my knee replaced again? Do you think I need to see a new orthopedist? Do our feel my knee was put in wrong? Please respond and let me know what you think I should do? What is your professional opinion.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 days later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems to be a bio-mechanical mal-alignment of your knee due to a muscular spasm or fibrosis. That's why you have that pain in hip.
Such biomechanical instability can sometimes cause a persistent pain and deformity like you are having.
Managing conservatively works for individuals with minor deformity and little muscle weakness. Conservative treatment includes-
1.mechanical support by brace/ orthotics.
2.preventing overuse-by lifestyle modification,
3.releasing tight structures-by deep frictional massage,
4.improving muscle balance-by selective muscles strengthening,
5.relieving local inflammation/painkillers-for temporary use, and finally
6.artificial lubrication-injecting synthetic fluid similar to what natural knee makes.

I suggest you to consider visiting your physical therapist soon. Most of the aforesaid options will be readily available there.

For any reason if conservative treatment does not work out, do not worry. A small surgery may help you after a clinical assessment. You can discuss the various treatment options with your orthopedician. A knee replacement is not immediately indicated.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Done knee replacement. Right foot turns outward, hip pain, bump on foot. Do I need knee replacement again? 8 hours later
What can be done about my foot pointing out sideways when I walk I feel like my ankle is gonna you have any suggestions please help
What is fibrosis or mall alignment what does it mean
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The foot pointing sideways can be due to a mal alignment of the knee joint. A direct examination and Ct scan are needed to find out the exact cause.
Mal alignment refers to the wrong position or bad spacial orientation of the joint. Fibrosis is the scar tissue which has less elasticity and can cause imbalance.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Done knee replacement. Right foot turns outward, hip pain, bump on foot. Do I need knee replacement again? 1 hour later
Just one more answer please does ma alignment of the knee joint mean it was put in wrong? I really need to know what I should do next? And could this be from my knee replacement being done incorrectly or not? These questions answered honestly and fully will give me what I seek and you all stars. Please help me ASAP. Thank
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Mal alignment of the knee does not necessarily mean that the knee was put in wrong. It can be due to excessive muscle spasm or tendon instability or post surgical excessive fibrosis. A CT scan of the replaced joint will help in proper diagnosis.
In case there is a tendon problem then using a knee brace and regular physiotherapy might help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor