Done follicular scan and told to be ovulating as follicles were ruptured. Suggest?

Posted on Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello doctor,

I have done follicular scan.Day 13th my right ovary follicular size is 15.6 x 13 mm

Day 14th (evening)16x17mm.

I went back today on Day 16th (morning) after scan doctor has told Follicle is ruptured and have mentioned recent ovulation occured .

.Is it possible that yesterday my follicle size is around 18mm and then the follicle got ruptured?My gynaeo told it would have been better if the follicle size is 20 mm before getting ruptured. She prescribed Ovidac hcg injection once follicle size reaches 18 mm ? Still she told me to have intercourse next 3 days. Let me know what are my chances f getting pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Good chance of pregnancy if other things fine.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Its possible that follicle was of 18mm on 15th day. Follicle of size between 18 & 30mm is considered as mature follicle.
You have good chance of pregnancy if husband's semen is fine & your tubes are patent. If both things are fine you have chance of conception equal to any fertile couple.
One suggestion to improve chance of conception is not to restrict intercourse to periovulatory period. You can start trying when follicle size becomes 12-14mm.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Dattaprasad 8 hours later
Thanks doctor,

Why did doctor prescribe Ovidac HP injection after the growth is around 18mm before follicle rupture.Why did she tell 18 mm not enough .If it was 20 mm it would have been better. Will there be any health concern for foetus or baby if it were formed with the egg of 18mm follicle. With her statement i felt there is very less chance of conception
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ovidac prescribed for luteal support.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Function of Ovidac HP is not just for follicular rupture, but it also supports luteal phase (it supports pregnancy if it occurs in that cycle).
Regarding follicular size, every doctor can have own perception about size at maturity, but any follicle greater than 18 mm is considered mature & you need not worry for that.
As any follicle >18 mm is mature enough, there should not be any health concern for fetus or baby if formed.
I repeat you have good chance of pregnancy, equal to any fertile couple if husband's semen is fine & your tubes are patent.
Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Dattaprasad 26 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

Since I got pregnant naturally last year ( but had missed abortion) I am expecting that this time everything will be fine.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good luck.

Detailed Answer:
Hope everything goes fine & you get the desired result.
Wish you good health.
Regards.
Dr. Dattaprasad

Infertility Specialist