Does usage of inhalers after consuming alcohol cause an increase in alcoholic fumes?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I only require a one time charge ...Hi , Had two 6 ounce glasses of win Thursday evening which is my XXXXXXX if I get behind a car as twi is my limit. I have copd and was having severe attacks. so prior to leaving my home I to a spiriva which did not help so took two hits of symbicort....on toute I continue coughing fiercely and took the hits of ventolin as cough made me light headed. at that moment I was pulled over for a breath sample and blew over. I am trying to reasearch this as I was sure I was fine with two glasses of wine. I also noted to the officer that I have copd prior to breath test at station . Is there any insight you can provide as I am devistated and the destroyed my licience and I am in sales on the road / have a back up class one professional triver and will lose everying. I am also a responsible motor cycle enthisiaist my email is YYYY@YYYY

please note my 1st sample at the station was take at 9;45 pm and my 2nd was at 10:05 PM I am 5'8 and approx 160 lbs . my spiriva , sympbicort and ventalin inhalers were taken between 7:30 pm to 8:00 pm. Which I also experience acid reflux at the station which I have medication for

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The inhalers will not increase the level of alcohol in your breath.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX,

I have not understood your query. What do you want to know?

I can only say that the inhalers used do not have any alcoholic fumes and will not increase the level of alcohol in your breath. The breath analyser test must have been positive, because of the wine that you took.

Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar