Does marijuana smoking cause problems to patients with nephrotic syndrome?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Does marijuana smoking cause problems to people with or who have had nephrotic syndrome?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I feel he is using it as an excuse to abuse marijuana

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There have been many studies and cases on medical marijuana use for patients who have undergone kidney transplants, individuals with nephrotic syndrome using marijuana to help lower their protein loss through urine (proteinuria), etc.

But the fact of the matter is that medical marijuana needs to be used as a medication and not an abused drug. Your son seems to be using it the other way around. If he was taken off the steroids it meant he was doing good without it. I am not sure if his current situation but the marijuana can only take your mind off things and nothing else.

Is he in any kind of pain? Because if not, then the nephrotic syndrome is just an excuse to get off using marijuana the way he wants.

In my opinion, the first thing required is a medical consultation and a few laboratory investigations to assess his current situation. Based on this we can decide where he stands medically.

Marijuana abuse can ruin your life and he seems to be heading there. His physical description does not seem that good either and they all match marijuana addicts. He needs help and I can only advise sitting on the other end of the globe, you need to find an approach through which he communicates and agrees to allow you and the rest of his family to help.

Please do not hesitate to write back to me anytime, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan