question-icon

Does kidney problem lead to unexplained weight loss?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014
Question: I HAVE BEEN INFORMED BY MY GP THAT AS A RESULT OF AN ABDOMINAL IMAGING A SOLID LESION
ADJACENT TO OR ARISING FROM THE UPPER POLE OF MY RIGHT KIDNEY WAS DISCOVERED. MY
GP RECOMMENDED FURTHER EVALUATION WITH A CT SCAN OF THE ABDOMEN. I AM NOT EXPERIENCING ANY TYPE OF SYMPTOMS; HOWEVER, I AM NOTICING A LOSS OF WEIGHT WHICH I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE KIDNEY CONCERN. HOW SERIOUS IS THIS PROBLEM WITH MY KIDNEY; IS THERE ANY CONNECTION TO MY UNEXPLAINED WEIGHT LOSS?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
connection is there

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Unexplained weight loss is a sign of malignancy specially when there is a asymptotic mass in any body organ.

And regarding the kidney, there is a saying in our medical community that "all solid renal lesion is to be considered as malignant unless proved otherwise".

So i would too suggest that you get full evaluation of that kidney lesion, starting with a ct scan.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon