Does intake of Oxandrolone increase in firing the robustness of GnRH neurons?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Dear Dr. XXXXXXX , Helloi again after a long time. Hope you are well. I have some follow on enquiry to ask you please.

As we previosuly discussed, i had a 3 month course of 2,5mg oxandrlolone when i was in my teens. You mentioned it may have helped my puberty progress by making gnrh neurons fire more robustly.
My Question: Suppose it did make gnrh fire more robustly after taking the treatment for say 1.5 months - will there be another increase in firing robustness? Or does it have just an effect one one occasion?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oxandrolone use in CDP

Detailed Answer:
Good day XXXXXXX
Nice to hear from you again. Sorry for the delay in the reply.
Brief treatment with Oxandralone helps in maturation of "immature/lazy" GnRH neurons in hypothalamus and hence kick start puberty in constitutional delay of puberty. Usually, once this process is initiated, it will continue with out need of further external stimulation. So, Oxandrolone just helped once, and then subsequent gnrh firing is by the body itself. Please feel free to discuss further. Have a lovely sunday.
Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX thanks for your valued advice.

The reason i ask did oxandrolone help ' once' or maybe more than once is lets consider this scenario:

The treatment course is three months. Lets say after 1.5 months oxandrolone kickstarted the puberty...however im still taking te treatment as i have another 1.5 months left. Will the oxandrolne cause another 'maturation' again after say 2.5 months into the treatment?

Kind Regards
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPG axis maturation

Detailed Answer:
That is a difficult question XXXXXXX Studies have shown that minimum three months treatment is required to get the GnRH neurons matured/up regulated and then to make them fire signals. Once they start firing, the process continues with out external stimulation. It is difficult to say at what exact time point during this 3 month treatment period does the initiation of this process happen.

Once the GNRH neurons start firing, production of GnRH happens which then has to stimulate pituitary LH cells to replicate/mature and to produce LH . Then LH has to stimulate LH receptors of Leydig cells of testes. Later Testosterone production happens. Subsequently, Testosterone cause up regulation of Testosterone receptors in several tissues like bone, skin, penis etc. Until this up regulation happens, receptors at the final end organ can not bind to testosterone. So this is not an overnight process.

It takes time for this multi step process to function efficiently from the levels of GnRH neurons till the downstream Testosterone target cells . Hence a 3 month treatment period.