Does high level of IgG indicate hepatitis B?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: My wife has hepatitus B and during a blood work for life insurance the result below was detected. What does this mean please? she is not due to see her doctor for another 3 months which is worrying.

IgG

HI

18.64

6.00-16.00

g/L

IgA

2.21

0.54-4.17

g/L

IgM

0.64

0.30-2.30

g/L

Immunofixation

A faint ill-defined band of IgG, type Lambda, is

detected.

Please submit another specimen for immunofixation

electrophoresis in 6-12 months to confirm

observations.
I have attached her report please review. Could the high IGG type lambda be as a result of her hepatitis b? and is this high enough IgG to be worried about. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to hepatitis b

Detailed Answer:
Hi

This slightly high IgG level is well explained by the hepatitis b. However, that should not give monoclonal band in immunofixation. Fortunately the band is very faint and may not be abnormal after all.

Hence, we need to reconfirm it by another immunofixation. Maybe a little earlier, around 3 months. If that is also positive, we need to evaluate for monoclonal gammopathy. Not necessarily it will require any treatment immediately.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Thank you very much doctor
Please find a copy of her previous test for reference. Just to clarify. If the next result has "faint ill-defined band of IgG, type Lambda, is
detected" then we have to evaluate for monoclonal gammopathy(MGUS)? as it may not be because of Hepatitis b. But it is likely due to Hepatitis b.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes that is correct

Detailed Answer:
If this band persists or intensifies then we have to do further work up.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 hours later
Thank you very much doctor you have been very helpful. Lastly, we have booked another test for this Saturday because we are so worried but considering we only did the other test one month ago, is that enough time for the band to be lowered or longer than one month is required for the band to be lowered? Thank you very much doctor XXXXXXX I appreciate your patience

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think 3 months gap will be better

Detailed Answer:
Within one month any change, increase or decrease is unlikely
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D