Does consumption of excessive alcohol cause blood vomiting?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My boyfriend who is 38 years old vomited blood two days ago. This was the first time it happened. He is a drinker and a smoker. The night before he vomited blood he did over indulge with alcohol. Then the next morning he took 3 ibuprofen but did not drink much water. It was hot out, he did have a few more beers the next day around noon as there was a festival going on in our town. He then entered a contest of tug of war and overexerted himself. About 15 mins later he started vomiting quite a bit of blood. When we got home, he was uncontrollably shaking and was very dehydrated. He continued to belch and felt week. The next day he felt better but not 100%. Today he says he feels fine. Is this something that had to do with too much alcohol, heat and overexertion or is it more serious?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would be best to be seen

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It can be related to alcohol use, the ibuprofen would have also potentially made it worse.

Alcohol can cause gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), peptic ulcer disease (ulcer in the stomach), esophageal varices (dilated veins in the esophagus at risk of bleeding).
Ibuprofen and all medications in this family of drugs (cataflam, naproxen, aspirin etc) can also cause gastritis and ulcers and these medications are strictly avoiding in any one with a history of reflux, ulcers , gastritis or Bleeding in the stomach.

He really should be seen even if the vomiting has stopped. He needs to be assessed to determine if there are any changes in the esophagus or stomach, this may involve a scope to take a look.

It would be best to avoid ibuprofen and similar medications and also reducing alcohol intake for now.

Overexertion would not cause bleeding in the stomach or esophagus. Would cause fatigue and possibly dehydration if working in the heat.

In this case, the loss of blood would have contributed to the dehydration and fatigue

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

I hope this helps