Does an enlarged anterior fontanelle require medical attention?
Check his vitamin d level and calcium and thyroid
THANKS FOR WRITING AGAIN.
Don't worry. Anterior fontanelle can take up to 18 months to close. If your baby is otherwise normal, no need to worry. There is still time.
However if your Pediatrician has examined and found it to be larger then I would suggest
1. Get vitamin d levels and calcium levels checked.
2. Do check for thyroid levels if not checked at birth.
3. Regular follow-ups to check for excess fast increase in head circumference to rule out other causes like hydrocephalus etc ( less likely because your Pediatrician would have checked that).
4. If everything is fine, just give some more months to see if it decreases in size.
Wishing good health
0.5 cm per month from 6 to 12 months
First three months infants will gain six centimeters increase which means 2 centimeters per month.
The next three months the rate is three centimeters in three months which means
1 cm per month.
The next six months the rate is three centimeters in six months which means 0.5
cm per month.
So now for next three months count as 0.5 cm per month as normal
You are welcome
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Premature closure of anterior fontanelle
- Delayed closure of anterior fontanelle
- Bulging anterior fontanelle
- Small fibrose anterior fontanelle
- Anterior fontanelle problems
- Normal anterior fontanelle size range
- Anterior fontanelle calcium
- Large anterior fontanelle in 6 months infant
- Normal enlarged anterior fontanelle in infants
- Anterior fontanelle closure
- Constant crying baby,not sleeping,given gripe water.Suggestions ?
- Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with...
- Swelling of legs after a drive. Is this normal? Or is it related to...
- 23 days baby is having cold and cough, not able to sleep well. Giving...
- Baby started vomitting and loose motion. Losing weight. Stool test done....
- Baby has low weight, elevated liver enzymes. What does this mean? Usual...
- Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child?
- Child felt warm, given Calpol. Blood test suggested. Appreciate a second...
- Child tightens his hands and jaws, makes grunting sound. Is everything...
- Child getting fever, cough and cold frequently. Constant constipation....