Does an enlarged anterior fontanelle require medical attention?
The closure time varies from 6-24 months
Welcome to HCM
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I won't get worried as at age of 9 months the fontanelle closes only in 25% of babies. It usually closes by 6 months only in 10% of babies and in more than 90% by 24 months of age.
The abnormally enlarged fontanelle can be there in babies with hypothyroidism, vitamin D or calcium deficiency and in some uncommon genetic disorder. The fontanelle can be enlarged in some pathology in brain but in that condition usually it is associated with enlargement of head.
You need not to be worried if baby is growing normally, his thyroid report is normal and if there are no other signs of vitamin D deficiency.
I shall be glad to help further if you need any.
At upper limit of growth
Thanks for follow up
If we plot the circumference of head on the growth chart it comes to around 95 centile which is at upper limit for this age. Also after six month the the head circumference usually increases by 0.5 cm per month but growth of 1 cm per month does not always suggestive of any abnormality.
I would suggest you to get an ultrasound skull done to rule out any pathology(to be on safer side).
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Premature closure of anterior fontanelle
- Delayed closure of anterior fontanelle
- Bulging anterior fontanelle
- Small fibrose anterior fontanelle
- Anterior fontanelle problems
- Normal anterior fontanelle size range
- Anterior fontanelle calcium
- Large anterior fontanelle in 6 months infant
- Normal enlarged anterior fontanelle in infants
- Anterior fontanelle closure
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting