Does an enlarged anterior fontanelle require medical attention?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: hi
my baby is 9 month old. We took him for vaccination yeaterday.& the ped told that his anterior fontanelle is slightly large for 9 months & it should close by 12 months. We XXXXXXX giving him vit d drops. Should we worry? what can be the reasons for the delay?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
The closure time varies from 6-24 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I won't get worried as at age of 9 months the fontanelle closes only in 25% of babies. It usually closes by 6 months only in 10% of babies and in more than 90% by 24 months of age.
The abnormally enlarged fontanelle can be there in babies with hypothyroidism, vitamin D or calcium deficiency and in some uncommon genetic disorder. The fontanelle can be enlarged in some pathology in brain but in that condition usually it is associated with enlargement of head.
You need not to be worried if baby is growing normally, his thyroid report is normal and if there are no other signs of vitamin D deficiency.

I shall be glad to help further if you need any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
At birth his head circumference was 35 cm. now at 9.3 months it's 47. Is it ok? From 6 th months it increased by 1 cm every month
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At upper limit of growth

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

If we plot the circumference of head on the growth chart it comes to around 95 centile which is at upper limit for this age. Also after six month the the head circumference usually increases by 0.5 cm per month but growth of 1 cm per month does not always suggestive of any abnormality.
I would suggest you to get an ultrasound skull done to rule out any pathology(to be on safer side).