Does an aortic aneurysm with 5 CC volume of residual fluid require surgery?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm 85 under Dr. 6 month monitoring , with a measure of 5 cc, Am in very good physical/mental/emotional health and My Dr. will run another ultra sound in March, must I have surgery as I'm not inclined to at my Age; You follk's are very kind to assist us older's.?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Kindly share more details about your previous work up

Detailed Answer:

We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if 5 cc is either volume of some residual fluid or measure of prostate if compared with your age though it's still unclear what size are you sharing specifically.

Kindly in follow up query it would be very kind of you if you can share more details about your illness.

Though Your concerns regarding surgery or any other intervention are quite right and unless unavoidable usually invasive methods are avoided and medical treatment is a more preferable mode of management.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 17 hours later
Your answer refers to my aortic aneuryssm, is that correct?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Keep blood pressure and heart rate under control

Detailed Answer:

Well, in that case, you are right that monitoring is preferable and unless it worsens aggressively or causes significant pain or blood pressure issues or shortness of breath it can be left without surgery.

However, to avoid it to aggravate, blood pressure readings should be kept under control with blood pressure medications and heart rate should also be kept in check medically.

Avoiding straining or heavy exertion is mandatory. A regular cardiologist or vascular surgeon review will also be needed every three months at least.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad