question-icon

Does a person without a thyroid have the same thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin and anti thyroglobulin antibody levels listed in the normal lab range?

Posted on Tue, 14 Jan 2020
Question: I was wondering about some thyroid labs. I had a total thyroidectomy 12 years ago. Seeing a new endocrinologist for long standing hyperadrenergic symptoms, weight loss, inability to ever gain weight. Many tests and imaging have been done.

Does a person without a thyroid have the same thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin and anti thyroglobulin antibody levels listed in the normal lab range..?
This is the first time an endocrinologist has ever tested those on me, and I was confused not having a thyroid.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About thyroid antibodies;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
After thyroidectomy, the antibodies get within the normal ranges ( if they have been high) within one year.
So, they are excpected to be within the normal ranges after 12 years, it would be abnormal if they would be high.
You do not need to worry about it.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist