Does Sinequan interact with Abilify?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX XXXXXXX and I take 15 mg of abilify in the morning and 1 mg of klonopin three times a day. Is it okay to take 50 mg of sinequan at night for sleep with these medications. I read that combining sinequan with abilify can cause side effects like drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, irregular heartbeat, confusion, and memory problems. Once I took 25 mg of sinequan at around 4 am in the morning and took 15 mg of abilify at 7:30 am, and around 10:30 am, I had a little bit of an irregular heartbeat. I called my psychiatrist and she said these two medications are perfectly safe to take together, but will I have irregular heartbeat again especially if I take 50 mg instead of 25 mg? Was it because I took them so close together that I had irregular heartbeat that one time? If I take them twelve hours apart, do you think it will be okay to take 50 mg of sinequan to help me sleep because 25 mg doesn't work for me?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can take Sinequan without any worries.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

Sinequan is Doxepin and is a TCA drug. The drug is commonly used for sleep. Its totally safe to use Sinequan while on Aripiprazole and Klonopin. No need to worry. This will not cause any irregular heart beat.

The irregular heart beat you developed when you took 25 MG dose was probably due to worsening of anxiety and this could be first dose effect or due to taking the two drugs in close duration of time. You can safely taken 50 MG in evening as you are taking Aripiprazole in morning.

Thanks. Take care