Does Neosporin interact with Doxycillin?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I was trimming some heavy vines on a wall with shorts on. I came into the house and my wife noticed a bright red circle on the back of a lower calf, the size of a large silver dollar, no pain, no itching, no bite marks. Spider bite? Took doxycillin for 10 days, Neosporin, 4X4 gauze. Two yellow smaller circles began to appear off center, within the big circle. For one week I have kept it dry, it is now 20% smaller, the two yellow circles have coalesced, faded in color. The larger circle is not so raw looking, but weeps a little. No redness outside the circle, I have used a dry dressing, change it ever two days. A doctor checks it every 3 days. I am type-2 diabetic. Any suggestions?
?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few possible causes discussed and recommendations

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

It is obvious you have been doing the right things, taking treatments and being followed up accordingly.

Spider bite is one of the diagnosis to consider, and even if it was a spider bite I understand that the episode was more than 10 days ago and the lesion is less in size than it was and you have not had other symptoms or complications with it do it is a good news and it is healing without causing much issues and there remains nothing else to do but just observe it.

Ringworm is another diagnosis to consider and trying an antifungal cream twice a day for 7 days might be good (don't use it for a week if no improvement in 3-4 days).

Contact dermatitis is another option but this would be very itchy, so seems less likely. Keep the area clean and you might also try some moisturizing cream locally daily to keep it healthy.

How has been your sugar levels? when was the last HbA1c check done? This shows the average sugar in the last 3 months and is good to be done every 6-12 months at least to make sugar is under good control. Diabetes affects the healing process, especially if not we'll controlled.

So to conclude :
1. you seem to be doing the right things
2 the lesions seems to be improving and this is good news, keep watching it
3. use an antifungal cream 1-2 times a day for a few days to see if it helps
4. keep the area clean and miosturised (do not cover it, let it uncovered for quicker healing)

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to write in case more clarification is needed on this but please upload 1-2 immages of the lesion when you reply.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana